Chicken riggies is a popular dish that originated in the Utica, N.Y., area.
Chef Chris Manning cooks up a variation: scampi and riggies with vodka sauce.
Click on the picture to see how he puts it together.
The recipe follows.
Scampi & Riggies With A Pink Vodka Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced Spanish onion
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons rough-chopped mild banana pepper rings
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined shrimp (21 to 25 count)
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound cooked rigatoni pasta
Add the first three ingredients to a 14-inch skillet on medium-high heat. Cook until onions begin to wilt, then add the next four ingredients. Cook until shrimp are pink on each side and cooked through.
De-glaze the pan with the vodka and set it on fire to cook off the alcohol. Add the remaining ingredients and turn heat to low. Stir until sauce looks pink and pasta is thoroughly coated.
Serve in a large pasta bowl and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Sunday, March 1, 2015, Watertown, NY