WOW! SUNY Potsdam student at the Oscars!
ChaRon Brabham presented Oscar statuettes at the Academy Awards this past Sunday (February 24). State University of New York at Potsdam student ChaRon Brabham was named the first place winner in the national "Oscar Experience Talent Search," sponsored by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
The aspiring SUNY Potsdam filmmaker from Brooklyn, N.Y., won top honors for her video entry. Entrants had to submit a 30-second video answering the question, "How will you contribute to the future of movies?"Brabham, a junior theatre major who is also a student ambassador for the College's admissions office, submitted a black and white short film. "As an aspiring film director, I have plans to both educate and broaden horizons for the future of children, showing them that life isn't always so easy, but that greatness will always be attainable if you work towards your dreams," she said. "For me, film is a continuous change, but always goes back to those big ideas. I want to take those ideas and make them blossom like flowers, into a new era of film." Click here to see Ms. Brabham’s winning video: Brabham appeared live on stage to deliver Oscar statuettes to ceremony presenters at the Academy Awards on Oscar Sunday, Feb. 24. The winners are:
- ChaRon Brabham from SUNY Potsdam (NY) – Hometown: Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Jennifer Brofer from the University of Texas at Austin (TX) – Hometown: Austin, Texas
- Abe Diaz from DePaul University (IL) – Hometown: Duluth, Minn.
- Hearin Ko from Emerson College (MA) – Hometown: Shanghai, China
- Tatenda Mbudzi from UCLA (CA) – Hometown: Harare, Zimbabwe
- AJ Young from Columbia College Chicago (IL) – Hometown: Mesa, Ariz.