It's a different take on shrimp cocktail. Chef Chris Manning shows us a dish he learned in New Orleans.
It's called West Indies shrimp cocktail and features a Jamaican jerk dipping sauce that has many flavors of the season -- and a few more.
Click on the picture to see how it goes together.
Check out the recipes below.
West Indies Shrimp Cocktail
- 2 12-ounce bottles of lager beer
- 2 16-ounce bottles of water
- 1 lemon, halved
- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 1/2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
Add everything except the shrimp to a four-quart stock pot. Bring to a boil and add the shrimp. Cook for three to four minutes.
Make sure shrimp are cooked through and add them to an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Pat shrimp dry with paper towels and serve with Jamaican jerk dipping sauce.
Jamaican Jerk Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1 scallion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried whole leaf thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
Chill one hour before serving.
Wednesday, April 1, 2015, Watertown, NY