Hundreds of Fort Drum Workers Called Back

Tools

Hundreds of furloughed Fort Drum workers reported for work Monday, after a decision by Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel over the weekend.

That includes 250 furloughed workers considered garrison employees, and all the medical employees on post, according to officials.

Just under 60 percent of Drum's medical employees were furloughed last week because of the government shutdown.

A union official said Monday morning that he believes all workers at Fort Drum have been recalled. The deputy garrison commander will brief the workforce Tuesday morning.

The decision by Defense Secretary Hagel is based on a Pentagon legal interpretation of a law called the Pay Our Military Act.
   
That measure was passed by Congress and signed by President Barack Obama shortly before the partial government shutdown began Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Fort Drum's commissary will reopen Tuesday. There was early word over the weekend that it would reopen Sunday, but officials said they would need more time to get the facility open.

Thursday, November 27, 2014
, Watertown, NY

On Demand

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

What's On TonightFull Schedule