Norwood Woman Finishes Marathon Moments Before Blasts

Twitter/MGN Online


Two explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon have resulted in injuries and death.

A 23 year old Norwood woman running in the race said she had just crossed the finish line when she heard the blasts.

Colleen Cotey spoke by phone with 7 News reporter John Friot shortly after the explosions.

"I just heard a huge explosion and the ground kind of shook a little bit and one of the runners and I looked each other. We were like, wow, that was weird," said Cotey.

She said she heard a second blast about 16 seconds later.

"Pretty much immediately we were pretty much evacuated out of the area and one of the officers said right to us, 'That was two bombs. You need to get out of here," said Cotey.

She was uninjured.

"It's pretty crazy here right now. There's helicopters flying everywhere," she said.

By Monday night, officials said at least three people were killed and more than 100 were injured.

Boston police said no suspect has been taken into custody in connection with the explosions.

According to the Boston Marathon website, three other people from the north country were entered in the race:

- Audra Adair, age 37, Sackets Harbor 
- Mary Kate Curran, age 30, Canton
- Mike Howard, age 48, Canton  

Curran and Howard are affiliated with track and field programs at St. Lawrence University.

An SLU spokesperson said Curran and Howard registered for the marathon, but did not attend due to scheduling conflicts.

According to Adair's Twitter account, she was not at the race.

David Moran of Henderson was at the marathon to support his friend, who was running in support of Moran's late wife.

He told 7 News he was getting ready to head to the finish line to meet his friend when he heard the explosions.

"I felt like it was a 9/11 moment," he said. 

Greg Decent, a 1998 graduate of Watertown's Immaculate Heart Central School who now lives in Colorado, ran in the marathon.

He finished well before the bombs went off.

It wasn't until his phone started ringing back at the hotel that he learned about what was going on.

"A happy joyous day and this is the worst thing that can possibly happen," said Decent.


Tuesday, December 6, 2016
, Watertown, NY

On Demand

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

On Wall Street