Family Looks For Help After Fire Destroys Home


There's not much left of the Martin's home on Brown Road in Mannsville.

The family was burned out Monday morning.

Just after midnight, Robert Martin woke up to a smoke-filled room.

"You couldn't even breathe in there, I mean the smoke was just getting in my throat. I couldn't even talk, nothing. I was trying to yell. Couldn't talk, nothing," said Robert.

The fire started in the addition and spread quickly throughout the rest of the house.

Daughter, Lelia, and her 3 kids lived in the addition, and luckily they weren't here the night of the fire.

The electrical fire pretty much destroyed the house.

Everyone did make it out alive - Robert, Renee and their 3 children - but they lost everything.

"We're trying. Basically all we got is each other, so we're going to do what we have to do. Be a family and be there for each other. That's all we can do," said Lelia.

The family has been staying at a hotel, paid for by the Red Cross, but that runs out and they don't know where they'll be staying next.

"From here on out, I don't know what we're going to do," said Robert.

The Martins are asking for help from the community.

Money, food, clothes - they need it all.

Donations can be sent to 522 Lansing Street in Watertown.

The family is also organizing a benefit to help raise money for rebuilding.

It will be at the American Legion in Brownville on March 10.

Saturday, December 10, 2016
, Watertown, NY

On Demand

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

On Wall Street