Fatal Fire in Canton

Tools

By Sarah Compo

 Flowers lay on the ground in front of what's left of the two story house on West Main Street in Canton after a tragic fire.

The man who lived there, Jamie Robinson, died in the fire. His girlfriend, Michelle Bush is recovering at home after being taken to the hospital for minor burns and smoke inhalation.

"You get a fire like this and people are sleeping, with the smoke inhalation, they may never wake up," says St. Lawrence County Fire Investigator Augie Weiss.

That's apparently what happened to Robinson. Investigators say Robinson and Bush were asleep on an air mattress in the front room of their home when the fire started. When Bush woke up to a smoke and heat-filled room, she tried to wake up Robinson, but he was unresponsive. She quickly ran out of air, and had to run out the back door, through the flames, because there was a couch blocking the front door. She then ran back into the house and tried to drag her boyfriend to safety, but he was too heavy, there was too much smoke, and she had to leave him. By the time fire crews could get in the house they were too late to save Robinson.

It took about four hours to put the blaze out. Weiss says based on the damage it looks like the fire started in the back of the building in a room that was used as a workshop. Fire investigators say they failed to find any evidence of smoke detectors during their investigation. At this time, they are still trying to determine a cause of the fire.

Saturday, November 22, 2014
, Watertown, NY

On Demand

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

On Wall Street

What's On TonightFull Schedule