Feedback: Crash Survivor Disappointed In Charges Against Driver

Tools

He is the only survivor of the crash that killed six people in the town of Antwerp last year.

Lewis Lottie is speaking out for the first time.

He's disappointed with the charges lodged against the man who caused the accident.

On July 19, 2012, Lottie was seriously injured when James Mills of Pennsylvania drove his tractor trailer into a line of vehicles which were stopped at a construction zone.

The crash killed six people, including three children.

Mills was charged Tuesday night with a misdemeanor reckless driving count and three traffic infractions.

He pleaded not guilty to all the charges and was released.
 
"You drive down the road and the cops are sitting there waiting to nail you for speeding or no seat belt or texting and they hammer you with a pile of tickets. This guy goes out and kills six people, children and all, and he just gets off on a few traffic infractions. I just find the law is kind of screwed up in that aspect," said Lottie in a telephone interview from his Nicholville home.

Lottie was a state Department of Transportation employee who was driving a DOT pickup truck to a meeting in Watertown at the time of the accident.

He is no longer able to work because of his injuries.
 
"I still have a lot of scar burns. I've underwent seven surgeries. I've still got to have a total hip replacement done. I have no feeling in my back, my lower leg. He screwed me up for life," he said.

Following the crash, state police said inattention on Mills' part contributed to the crash.

See our earlier report

Share Your Thoughts for Your Turn or leave a comment on our Facebook Facebook

Thursday, October 30, 2014
, Watertown, NY

On Demand

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

On Wall Street

What's On TonightFull Schedule