Boonville Blaze Destroys 2 Downtown Buildings


Officials say it's Boonville's worst fire in 11 years.

Two buildings were destroyed and dozens of people forced from their homes in the early morning Thursday fire.

The call came in at approximately 2:30 a.m.

A fire official said it looked as if a mattress caught fire on the first floor of an apartment building at 167 Main Street.

The person who lived in that apartment dragged the mattress out to the sidewalk where it then caught the neighboring building on fire.

That building was a hair salon with several apartments above it.

Both buildings are total losses.

According to Joe White of the American Red Cross, 34 people were forced out of their homes.

He said his agency found housing for all of the fire victims so the Red Cross doesn't have to open a shelter.

White said there has been an outpouring of community support.

The Salvation Army fed the victims and donations of money and clothing are coming in to the United Methodist Church on Main Street.

The Adirondack Central School District closed because its water supply was depleted due to the fire.

The apartment building where the fire started is owned by Stan and Julie Hutchins of Constableville.

Six fire departments, including Constableville, fought the blaze until 9 a.m.

More information can be found on the Utica-Observer Dispatch website.

Photos courtesy Hulbert House, Boonville. More images can be found on the restaurant's Facebook page.

Saturday, December 10, 2016
, Watertown, NY

On Demand

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

On Wall Street