Flooding Closes Numerous North Country Roads
Several roads are closed and some are threatened because of high water levels. Here's a rundown of what's affected.
A flood warning is in effect for St. Lawrence County until almost 9 p.m. Tuesday. Another 1 to 1.5 inches of rain is expected to fall in that area over the next 24 hours. There's also a flood warning in Lewis County until after 9 p.m.
Flood warnings are also in effect for the Black River in Watertown and Boonville and the Moose River below McKeever.
A steel-deck bridge over the West Branch of the St. Regis River on Route 420 south of the hamlet of Winthrop is closed because water is hitting the deck. A photo is above.
The photo below was posted to the 7 News Facebook page by Kathy Leggue, showing what County Route 53 looks like in front of her Brasher Falls home.
Also affected by high water in St. Lawrence County:
- A dam in the town of Fine is threatened by high water.
- Route 11 C bridge in Brasher.
- National Grid substation on County Route 53 in Brasher is partly underwater.
- Church Street in Pyrites is closed because of flooding on the Oswegatchite.
- Bay Road in the town of Fowler.
- County Route 24 Bridge near Edwards.
- Days Mills Bridge is closed on County Route 49 in the town of Hopkinton.
- County Route 15 is closed between Rensselaer Falls and Heuvelton.
- State Route 812 in the town of Oswegatchie is down to one lane near Kelly Road and the Dekalb Road.
- Pestle Street Road in the town of Russell is closed due to flooding from the Grasse River.
- The worst flooding in decades is hitting camps and homes along Black Lake, as well as on other parts of the Oswegatchie River..
Lewis County officials report several roads are closed, including:
- River Road
- Ward Road
- Moose River Road
- Sears Pond Road
- Ridge Road
- Ryan Road
- East Martinsburg Road
- Denning Road
- Henry Road
- Blue Street in Glenfield
- Zecher Road
- Shibley Road and bridge over Moose River
- Steam Mill Bridge in Harrisville
- VanAmber Road Bridge in Castorland
- Waters Road
- Number 4 Road in the town of Watson
Two other county roads -- Greig Road and Burdicks Crossing Road -- have water flowing over them.
In Jefferson County, South Mechanic Street in Carthage was closed Tuesday afternoon.
South Mechanic Street from Liberty Street to the village limits in Carthage was also closed as was County Route 30 near Route 11 in the town of Philadelphia.
Emergency services officials report that water from the Black River is lapping at the edge of Route 3 between Herrings and Carthage.