Hundreds of Fort Drum Workers Called Back
Hundreds of furloughed Fort Drum workers reported for work Monday, after a decision by Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel over the weekend.
That includes 250 furloughed workers considered garrison employees, and all the medical employees on post, according to officials.
Just under 60 percent of Drum's medical employees were furloughed last week because of the government shutdown.
A union official said Monday morning that he believes all workers at Fort Drum have been recalled. The deputy garrison commander will brief the workforce Tuesday morning.
The decision by Defense Secretary Hagel is based on a Pentagon legal interpretation of a law called the Pay Our Military Act.
Meanwhile, Fort Drum's commissary will reopen Tuesday. There was early word over the weekend that it would reopen Sunday, but officials said they would need more time to get the facility open.
Monday, March 10, 2014, Watertown, NY
On Wall Street