Gas Leak Forces Residents From Canton Apartment Building
More than two dozen residents of Canton Manor apartments were evacuated Tuesday morning after a contractor working on the property ruptured a natural gas pipeline.
Canton firemen took air quality readings inside the apartment complex, which led them to evacuate residents temporarily as a safety precaution.
Workers from St. Lawrence Gas were able to shut off the gas without incident.
"St. Lawrence Gas responded quickly, shut the gas line down and we were able to return people to their homes and reopen the road."
Weather conditions, Crowe said, helped keep the danger to a minimum.
"With the stiff breeze we had, it definitely helped disperse the gas and lessen the danger of the situation."
Workers at the nearby St. Lawrence County Human Services Building also reported a strong gas smell.
Sunday, May 19, 2013, Watertown, NY
On Wall Street