Hazmat Called to Adams Center


Hazmat crews were called to an Adams Center business Saturday morning after workers discovered a chemical spill inside the building.

Bob Simpson, Jefferson County Deputy Fire Coordinator, said a 55 gallon drum of a chemical mixture containing styrine was spilled at Hi-Lite Markings on Hi-Lite Drive.

Styrine is highly flammable and is toxic in its gas form. Hazmat crews were at the scene from nine this morning into the evening. A chemical reaction in the drum was preventing them from removing it. The good news however, there is little danger to environment and the public.

Hi-Lite Markings Inc. is an airport runway marking company. Styrine, is used to essentially make paint dry more quickly through a chemical reaction.
Saturday, December 10, 2016
, Watertown, NY

On Demand

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

On Wall Street