North Country Public Entities Receive Refunds As Part Of State Settlement
One of the nation's largest medical waste disposal companies has agreed to pay New York state $2.4 million for improperly overcharging nearly 1,000 state government entities.
Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman announced the settlement with Stericycle, Inc. Tuesday.
In the north country, the following public entities will receive refunds:
- Clinton Correctional Facility, Dannemora -- $21,094.35
- St. Lawrence County Public Health Department in Canton -- $1,901.57
- State police in Ray Brook -- $1,803.89
- SUNY Potsdam -- $1,408.10
- Adirondack Correctional Facility in Ray Brook -- $833.38
The settlement affects including police and fire departments, rescue squads, schools, jails, and hospitals all over the state.
Schneiderman says since 2003, Stericycle violated contract terms by implementing a plan to charge automated price increases (APIs) without giving customers any notice.
See more an interactive map of the refund recipients.
Tuesday, July 29, 2014, Watertown, NY
On Wall Street