3 Face Charges Following Massena Standoff


Massena police charged three people Wednesday night, after a tense seven-hour standoff on Liberty Avenue.

Police identified one of the three as Devian J. Fletcher, 19, who allegedly set Wednesday's events in motion by firing a .22-caliber handgun at two other people.

A second person arrested was Kate J. Javier, 19, of 66 Liberty Avenue, the house police surrounded Wednesday afternoon. A third person arrested was identified as Jeffrey J. Clukey, 41, from the Syracuse area.

A press release suggested there was a fourth person in custody, but if that's the case, that person was not identified Wednesday night.

(A list of charges is at the bottom of this story.)

Wednesday's events appeared to be connected to an attempted kidnapping in February, and raised the possibility that the shooting was an act of revenge.

How It Started...

Police said Fletcher approached the passenger side of a vehicle in the driveway of 72 Maple Street just before 11:30 a.m. Wednesday. He fired the .22 toward the two people inside - neither of them was hit, but Miranda Green, 18, (seen here) was struck by flying glass. She was treated at Massena Memorial Hospital.

The other person in the vehicle was Patrick Lloyd, Green's boyfriend.

Here's where the story gets deep: back in February, Green and Lloyd allegedly tried to kidnap a young woman named Catherine Berry. They've both been charged with assorted crimes in connection with that attempt.

Berry, who is 17, lives at 66 Liberty Avenue, the house police surrounded Wednesday.

And Fletcher...

Wednesday afternoon...

...surrendered to police at 66 Liberty Avenue just after 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.

All afternoon, heavily armed police circled the house at 66 Liberty Avenue. A state police lieutenant used a bullhorn to try to talk whoever was still in the house into coming out.

"We have probably 20 cop cars, the SWAT teams are out there," said Michelle Daggett, an employee of Cappione's Beer Distributors, which is located a few houses away from 66 Liberty.

There were village police, members of the St. Lawrence County Sheriff's Department, state police, the Border Patrol, the county's drug task force.

"They're heavily armed, strapped," said Daggett.

At one point, police threw a concussion grenade into the house. No response.

Wednesday evening/night...

With a SWAT team in place, state police sent a robot up to the house. John Friot, the 7 News reporter on scene, couldn't see whether the robot actually went in the house.

Then, between 6:30 and 7:30 pm, the pace picked up.

Village police issued a statement announcing three people were in custody. The statement said assistant St. Lawrence County district attorney Andrew Botts was conferring with police on what charges will be brought.

Then the SWAT team moved up, broke a cellar window,  and shortly after 7 pm, began firing what appeared to be tear gas canisters into the house. The firing came in two waves, one right after 7 pm, and then a second a few minutes later into the upstairs of the house.

Shortly after, Friot said, a man emerged with his arms up in the air. He was taken into custody. That man was later identified as Jeff Clukey. It's not at all clear whether Clukey has any real connection with Wednesday's events. A police press release notes Clukey claimed he was "just visiting" 66 Liberty Avenue.

 The charges...

Late Wednesday evening, Massena police said Fletcher was charged with attempted assault, first degree; criminal possession of a weapon, second degree; reckless endangerment, first degree; menacing, second degree.

Kate Javier was charged with criminal possession of a weapon, second degree and tampering with evidence.

Clukey was charged with grand larceny fourth degree on an arrest warrant out of the Syracuse area. 












Tuesday, December 6, 2016
, Watertown, NY

On Demand

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

On Wall Street