Residents Escape Safely From Burning Home

Tools

A mother and two children escaped safely from a fire that damaged a St. Lawrence County home Monday evening.

Tom and Donna Sharpe and their two children lived in the home on County Route 20 in the town of Hermon.

Firefighters were called there just before 7 p.m.

Officials say Donna Sharpe heard the smoke alarm. She and the children, ages 8 and 10, were able to escape safely.

While the property owner has insurance, the Sharpes -- who rented the home -- do not.

Investigators blamed the fire on a faulty electrical cord on a floor lamp.

Officials say the building suffered heavy damaged, mostly in the living room. There was smoke and water damage throughout the rest of the home.

The Red Cross is now helping the family.

Thursday, October 23, 2014
, Watertown, NY

On Demand

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

On Wall Street

What's On TonightFull Schedule