The president of Samaritan Medical Center in Watertown is the 62nd recipient of the Israel A. Shapiro Citizenship Award.
Thomas Carmen, who is also the hospital's CEO, was awarded the honor Tuesday morning, the Greater Watertown-North Country Chamber of Commerce announced.
Lisa Weber, CEO of Timeless Frames in Watertown, nominated Carman.
"Most recently, with the problems at the Children's Clinic, I watched him really step up and come up with what was best for the community," she said.
"As I look at the list of past Shapiro Award winners, there are some significant community leaders," Carman said. "I am just so honored to be part of the group at this point."
The award is based on the recipient's contibution's to the community.
Among them are:
- Chairman of the Jefferson County Heart Walk
- Secretary of the Fort Drum Regional Liaison Organization
- Member and past president of the Watertown Noon Rotary
- YMCA board member and immediate past president
- Member of the NNY Association of the United States Army (AUSA)
- Member and past chairman of the Iroquois Healthcare Association
- Member of the Central New York Regional Advisory Board of Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Founding member and charter president and currently serving his second term as chairman of the Fort Drum Regional Health Planning Organization (FDRHPO)
- Past chairman of the Greater Watertown-North Country Chamber of Commerce
The award was established by Arnold I. Shapiro to honor the memory of his father, a long time business leader in the community.
Entries are judged by a panel of past Shapiro recipients.
The award will be formally presented at a dinner hosted by the chamber of commerce on February 6.
For more information, call 315-788-4400, visit www.watertownny.com, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, May 22, 2015, Watertown, NY
On Wall Street