Smoke Detectors Aid Family in Hermon Fire
Smoke detectors are credited with letting a Hermon family get out of their burning home safely early Sunday.
The home of Clarence and Kelly Cleveland, 142 Marshville Road, was heavily damaged by the fire, which firefighters responded to shortly before 1 a.m.
However, a statement from St. Lawrence County fire dispatch notes "working smoke detectors alerted family and they were able to exit home unharmed."
Volunteers from Hermon, Russell, Gouverneur, DeKalb Junction, Pyrites and Edwards were on the scene of the fire until almost 5 am.
The fire was caused by an overheated woodstove pipe.