Sunday: Fire Damaged Apartment To Be Rebuilt
An apartment on Emerson Place that was gutted by fire Saturday night will be rebuilt, according to the executive director of Neighbors of Watertown.
23 Emerson Place was extensively damaged by fire that began in a dryer in the basement at 7 pm Saturday. Apartments on either side received smoke damage and two other apartments lost electrical service.
The Emerson Place apartment complex is owned and operated by Neighbors of Watertown, which restored the complex a decade ago.
Executive director Gary Beasley surveyed the damage to 23 Emerson Place Sunday and told 7 News "Studs are burned, sections of wall, floor and stairway are gone, so it's gonna have to be rebuilt from the ground up."
Five families displaced by the fire are staying at The Inn on Arsenal Street, at the hotel's expense.
One of the people who lived near apartment 23, Calvin Huddleston, said of the fire: "It was pretty scary, because it was full of smoke. It was pure black."
(Go inside 23 Emerson Place to see just how much damage the fire did by clicking on the picture for 7 News reporter Rachel Spotts' story.)
Wednesday, October 1, 2014, Watertown, NY
On Wall Street