Attorney General: Target Should Take Responsibility
New York's attorney general said Thursday that Target should take responsibility for the data breach which exposed the debit and credit card information of millions of customers.
The company confirmed Thursday that criminals gained access to the credit and debit card records of 40 million of its customers between November 27 and December 15.
Online Target shoppers were apparently not affected.
"We're determining exactly what happened through our engagement with Target. We're asking them to take responsibility for it so New Yorkers, at least, are protected," said Eric Schneiderman, New York's attorney general.
The Secret Service is investigating.
Target's official confirmation followed the digging of independent journalist Brian Krebs, who writes on compouter security issues. Krebs first reported on the breach earlier this week.
Schneiderman restated the common sense rules for dealing with breaches. If you shopped ast Target with a credit or debit card during the dates in question:
- file a report with credit reporting agencies.
- ask the agencies to put a fraud alert on your credit file.
- monitor your accounts daily.
Reuters has a thorough round-up of the story Friday morning. Read it here.
Tuesday, September 30, 2014, Watertown, NY
On Wall Street