Update: Fire Kills Watertown Woman
A 93 year old woman died after fire struck her home on Coffeen Street late Friday night.
Ida E. Alteri passed away at 4:06 a.m. Saturday morning, according to officials at a Syracuse hospital.
Alteri was taken to Upstate Medical University Hospital in Syracuse for treatment overnight. (Newzjunky has additional details, photos posted here and here.)
Watertown city firefighters said in a statement that they responded to a report of fire at Alteri's home, 717 Coffeen Street, just before 11 p.m. When they got there, smoke and flames were coming from the first floor of the home.
Fire crews got Alteri out. She was taken by ambulance first to Samaritan Medical Center and then to Upstate.
7 News reporter Katie Alexander, on scene, said the fire was quickly put out. Fire officials said Saturday that the fire was accidental - it started in an undersized extension cord.
Off duty firefighters were called back in to help, and Fort Drum's fire department also responded to the call.
Funeral arrangements for Ida Alteri are with D.L. Calarco Funeral Home, and were incomplete Saturday, although calling hours were set for 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 pm Tuesday.