Fire extensively damaged two homes in the village of Adams Saturday afternoon.

The fire apparently started inside 24 Grange Avenue around 1:30 pm, but then jumped to a neighboring house.

"The houses on this street are close," said Bob Simpson of the Adams fire department. "As you can see, it's a very narrow street and things are really tight here."

Firefighters battled to keep the blaze confined to the two structures and not spread further.

"It was very scary, I could have lost some very good friends," said Anthony Mays, who lives near by.

One person was treated at the scene for a fire-related injury.

Jason Silsby and his family lived in one of the homes damaged by fire.

"It happened in a matter of minutes," Silsby said. "I looked out my door and the next thing I knew, the side of my house was on fire."

The family planned to stay with family and friends while they figure out what to do next.