Voting was underway Tuesday in 18 north country villages, including one that's considering disbanding its government all together.
Residents of Edwards are voting on a proposition that, if approved, would dissolve their village into the town by the new year.
Almost all village trustees and mayors seeking re-election are unopposed, but there are three contested mayoral races.
In Evans Mills, Mayor Robert Boucher will be challenged by former trustee Allen Bush. In Lowville, Mayor Mary Youngs is opposed by newcomer Donna Smith.
Voting is taking place until 9 p.m. at the respective village halls, unless otherwise noted. All elections are non-partisan and are for two-year terms, also except where noted.
7 News will have results on our 10 and 11 p.m. newscasts Tuesday night, and our early news Wednesday, as well as on-line here.
Here are the candidates:
- Chaumont: Mayor Valerie Rust is unopposed. Trustees Michael Nichols and Scott Wollette are also unopposed.
- Ellisburg: Mayor James Matthews and Trustee Michael Gleason are unopposed in seeking re-election.
- Evans Mills: Mayor Robert Boucher is opposed for election by Allen Bush, a former trustee. Incumbent David Fleming and newcomer Michael Cocco are seeking two trustee seats.
- Herrings: Mayor Rick Beirman is unopposed. Trustees James Childers and Lance Micek, both appointed in January, are seeking election and are unopposed for two seats.
- Glen Park: Trustees Howard Gantner and Shane Wisner are unopposed in re-election bids.
- Mannsville: Mayor David Gardner and Trustees Lori Cashel and James Creighton are unopposed in elections.
- Philadelphia: Mayor Matthew Montroy and Trustee Carol Weaver are unopposed in their bid for election.
- Theresa: Mayor Tim Tanner is unopposed for re-election. Trustees Howard Schnettler and Thomas Roberts are unopposed in their re-election campaigns. Myrtle Calhoun, Rachel Roberts, Jonathan Walker and John Hallett are running to fill the remainder of a village justice term that opened last August with the resignation of Andrea McIntyre. It's a one year position.
- Castorland: Trustees Cliford Lehman and Mervin Moser are unopposed in re-election bids for four-year terms.
- Constableville: Mayor Grant Moshier and Trustee Mark Sullivan are running unopposed. David Alguire, a newcomer, is running for a second open trustee seat.
- Copenhagen: Mayor Kenneth Clarke and Trustees Gerald Snyder and Gary Parker are unopposed.
- Lowville: Mayor Mary Youngs is opposed by newcomer Donna Smith. Trustees Dennis Bishop and Dennis Kraeger are unopposed in their re-election bids.
- Lyons Falls: Trustees Ron Dorrity and Mike Skorupa are unopposed in re-election bids. The election will be held at the village fire hall.
- Port Leyden: Mayor Alan Scouten and Trustees Lynette Ripp and Frederick McCauley are unopposed in re-election bids.
St. Lawrence County
- Edwards: Mayor Jan Lennox and Trustee Arthur Whitmarsh are unopposed for re-election.
- Hammond: Trustee Amanda Clemons is unopposed for re-election. The election will take place at the village fire hall.
- Hermon: Mayor Robert Sanderson will not seek re-election. Two candidates - Democrat Sheri Smith and Republican Cathy Streeter - will both seek the seat. Trustees Nathan Young and Benjamin Murcray are unopposed in their bids for re-election.
- Morristown: Mayor Cheryl Shatraw and Trustee Francis Colby are both unopposed.
- Richville: Mayor Ella Mae Fenlong and Trustees Harold Jenkins Jr. and Mary Huse are unopposed.