South Jefferson was one of the winning north country teams Thursday afternoon, beating APW 44-35 in boys basketball, at the Jefferson Community College Shootout.
Also in boys basketball Thursday:
- At the Lewis County tournament, South Lewis beat Lowville and Beaver River beat Copenhagen , 44-28.
- In the Section 10-7 Challenge, Potsdam beat Beekmantown 55-35, while OFA beat Plattsburgh 69-46.
- At the Morristown holiday tournament, Morristown beat Hammond 55-31 and St. Regis Falls beat Salmon River, 69-13.
- Heuvelton beat Norwood-Norfolk 68-37, and Gouverneur edged Lisbon 45-40.
- Also, Massena beat Westhill 50-47, Fulton beat Carthage 50-45 and Seton Catholic 33 edged Colton-Pierrepont 33-32.
In girls basketball, Massena beat Plattsburgh 54-45.
At the Lewis County tournament at Beaver River, Beaver River beat South Lewis 34-15 and Copenhagen beat Lowville 35-25.
Rochester Mercy beat IHC 66-34, Carthage beat Mexico 28-20, Indian River beat Bishop Gibbons 48-22 and Fulton beat Carthage 54-45.
In hockey, St. Lawrence Central beat Central Square 3-1 to take the championship in the Islanders Tournament at Alexandria Bay, while the Islanders beat Plattsburgh 3-1 in the consolation game.
At the West Genesee tournament, Rome Free Academy beat Potsdam 5-1.
In girls hockey, the Saranac Lake Invitational saw Saranac Lake beat Massena 2-1 and Lake Placid and St. Lawrence Central tied 1-1.
In mens' college hockey, Maine beat Clarkson 6-1.
See highlights from the South Jefferson win, and get this week's list of the north country's top bowlers, by clicking on the picture to watch our 6 pm sports report.
Monday, May 4, 2015, Watertown, NY