Fire Destroys House In WatertownPosted: Updated:
A fire in Watertown totals a LeRay Street house Saturday evening.
Authorities got the call around 6:45pm of reported smoke and flames.
While someone does live at house, Watertown Fire Chief Dale Herman said it was in the process of being remodeled.
The single family home is owned by Jacob Hollis of the same address.
One difficulty crews had was the closest fire hydrant to the house was out of operation, however, Herman said it didn't hinder much. It made it so more manpower was needed.
The one saving grace is that no one was inside.
"We're waiting for fire investigators to arrive to start taking a look," Herman said Saturday night. "The building was being renovated. At the time, there was no one in the building nor any pets in the building when we arrived."
The rest of the house had to be knocked down tonight to help fight the fire.
Fort Drum Fire Department also responded to the scene with an engine company.
In a press release late Saturday night, Herman said the fire looks to have started in a recreation room on the first floor. Investigators are still looking into what started the fire, but a kerosene heater in that room has been ruled out.