The Met: Live in HD Returns to Potsdam with Thrilling 2017-18 Season
The Met: Live in HD to Bring 10 Metropolitan Opera Productions to Potsdam's Roxy Theater, Through Partnership with Crane School of Music
From classic to contemporary, the twelfth season of The Met: Live in HD will bring 10 exciting productions from the Metropolitan Opera to the movie screen in Potsdam again in 2017-18.
Sponsored by SUNY Potsdam's Crane School of Music and J.S. Cinemas, the twelfth season of the series is sure to captivate North Country audiences, with live transmissions from the Metropolitan Opera stage beamed to movie screens in more than 2,000 movie theaters in 73 countries around the world.
The 2017-18 Live in HD season features 10 transmissions, offering a significant portion of the Met season to opera lovers around the world.
"This season, we're replenishing our core repertoire with new productions of 'Così Fan Tutte,' 'Norma,' and 'Tosca,' while stretching our horizons with 'The Exterminating Angel' and 'Cendrillon,'" said Metropolitan Opera General Manager Gelb. "The HD schedule includes repertory favorites and stimulating rarities, with something for neophytes and aficionados alike."
The new season will kick off this weekend, with a live simulcast of Bellini's "Norma," directed by Sir David McVicar and conducted by Carlo Rizzi, starring Sondra Radvanovsky.
Another highlight for North Country audiences will be the spring production of "Cendrillon" ("Cinderella"), featuring SUNY Potsdam alumna Stephanie Blythe '92 as Madame de la Haltière -- better known as the "evil stepmother." The renowned mezzo-soprano got her start at The Crane School of Music, and also founded the Fall Island Vocal Arts Seminar, which is in residence at the College.
All performances will be screened at the Roxy Theater, in downtown Potsdam. Robotic cameras, strategically placed around and behind the stage, capture the beauty and power of live performance from striking angles, and heighten attention to both performance and production. Intermission features and English subtitles will once again bring the stories to life.
All productions will be shown live worldwide on Saturdays. There will also be encore presentations offered on Sundays locally.
The 2017-18 The Met: Live in HD season schedule is as follows:
- Vincenzo Bellini's "Norma": Live on Oct. 7, 2017, at 12:55 p.m., with an encore screening on Oct. 15 at 6:30 p.m.
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's "Die Zauberflöte": Live on Oct. 14 at 12:55 p.m., with an encore screening on Oct. 22 at 6:30 p.m.
- Thomas Adès's "The Exterminating Angel": Live on Nov. 18 at 12:55 p.m., with an encore screening on Nov. 19 at 6:30 p.m.
- Giacomo Puccini's "Tosca": Live on Jan. 27, 2018, at 12:55 p.m., with an encore screening on Feb. 4 at 6:30 p.m.
- Gaetano Donizetti's "L'Elisir d'Amore": Live on Feb. 10 at 12 p.m., with an encore screening on Feb. 25 at 6:30 p.m.
- Giacomo Puccini's "La Bohème": Live on Feb. 24 at 12:30 p.m., with an encore screening on March 4 at 6:30 p.m.
- Giachino Rossini's "Semiramide": Live on March 10 at 12:55 p.m., with an encore screening on March 18 at 6:30 p.m.
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's "Così Fan Tutte": Live on March 31 at 12:55 p.m., with an encore screening on April 15 at 6:30 p.m.
- Giuseppe Verdi's "Luisa Miller": Live on April 14 at 12:30 p.m., with an encore screening on April 22 at 6:30 p.m.
- Jules Massenet's "Cendrillon": Live on April 28 at 12:55 p.m., with an encore screening on May 6 at 6:30 p.m.
Tickets prices are the lowest available in the nation: $18 for an adult, $15 for senior citizens, $12 for students and $9 for youth age 18 and under. Discounts are available for groups of 10 people or more.
Tickets are available by calling the Community Performance Series Box Office at (315) 267-2277, by visiting the Roxy Theater in downtown Potsdam or stopping by the CPS Box Office in the lobby of SUNY Potsdam's Performing Arts Center. You can also reserve tickets at Brick & Mortar Music in downtown Potsdam. To reserve tickets online, at www.cpspotsdam.org.
For more information on the 2017-18 season of The Met: Live in HD, visit the Metropolitan Opera website at www.metopera.org/hdlive.
These Operas are also playing at Salmon Run Mall in Watertown on the same dates.