TV Dinner: Chicken & WafflesPosted: Updated:
Chef Chris Manning made a special request from 7 New This Morning hosts Makenzie Piatt and Michelle McLeod: chicken and waffles.
It's known as a southern comfort food, but it works well for northern winters, too.
He prepares it with a special maple-rum sauce.
Watch the video to see how.
Chickens & Waffles
For the waffle batter:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 pound ( 1 stick) butter, melted
Mix all ingredients together and cook according to waffle iron manufacturer's instructions.
For the chicken:
- 4 6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts pounded thin
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- Oil for frying
Season the chicken with the Cajun seasonings and dredge in the flour. Mix the eggs, buttermilk and hot sauce together and add the chicken to the egg mixture, then back into the flour. Coat evenly. Fry in oil until golden brown and cooked through.
For the sauce:
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and drizzle over chicken and waffles.
Pair with Brianna wine from Coyote Moon Vineyards.