Overheated Chimney Causes Fire in Town of Martinsburg

Overheated Chimney Causes Fire in Town of Martinsburg

Posted: Updated:

Lewis County fire officials say an overheated chimney is the cause of a fire Friday in town of Martinsburg.

Crews were called 6768 State Route 26 around 2:30 pm.

There were no injuries.

The fire report said homeowners heard the cellar smoke alarm sound prompting them to check the wood boiler in the basement. That;s when they discovered the chimney had overheated and caught the wall on fire.

The crews from Martinsburg Fire Department said they discovered the fire had gotten into the walls and ceiling of the residence through a void in the chimney.

The fire damaged the kitchen and dining area of the home, as well as a bedroom.

The Martinsburg Fire Department was assisted by the Lowville Volunteer Fire Department, and Lewis County Search & Rescue.

The fire report said two adults occupied the home owned by Ronald and Robin Ingersoll.

A release from the American Red Cross on Saturday said the organization assisted five people, four adults and a six year old, in a fire on State Route 26 in the Lowville area.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Frankly Media and WWNY. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.