West Stockholm Home Damaged In Christmas Eve Fire

West Stockholm Home Damaged In Christmas Eve Fire

Posted: Updated:

A chimney fire on Christmas Eve severely damaged a home and displaced a family of four in West Stockholm.

The first call came in at 10 p.m.

West Stockholm Fire Chief Robert White Jr. said flames were visible when firefighters arrived at 832 Hatch Road.

The fire took firefighters only about 10 minutes to bring under control, White said, but they had to cut into and tear apart walls where the fire had spread.

Both the first floor and the second floor were damaged and the family had to leave for a hotel for the night.

“I called 911, ran back in the house, I ran upstairs, screamed at my wife to get up," homeowner Jeremiah Spencer said

“It didn't hurt our spirits any," he said. "We still celebrated Christmas just like any other, just in a hotel room.”

No one was injured. 

White said an overheated wood stove chimney caused the fire.

The home was insured.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Frankly Media and WWNY. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.