Murder Suspect Wants Case Dismissed

Murder Suspect Wants Case Dismissed

Posted: Updated:

The alleged killer of Lacey Yekel wants his case dismissed.

Christopher Hebert’s defense says the four-year gap between the alleged murder and his indictment violates his right to a speedy trial. 

A motion the defense filed says prosecutors had evidence four years ago they could have used for an indictment. 

St. Lawrence County District Attorney Gary Pasqua told the judge it wasn’t until last year that prosecutors had enough evidence to go to the grand jury. That's when someone wearing a wire recorded Hebert in state prison.

“Until the middle of 2017, there was not enough evidence to charge Mr. Hebert at that time,” said Pasqua.

The body of Lacey Yekel, who was 25 years old, was found in the Massena Industrial Park in August 2014. A grand jury handed up its murder indictment on June 13 of this year and Hebert was arrested.
 

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Frankly Media and WWNY. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.