The Knights celebrate Tyler Long's overtime game-winner against Vassar - photo by Gary Mikel

Overtime Score Gives Knights First Win

April 3, 2010
Potsdam, NY – One first had to be accomplished on Saturday afternoon: either the Clarkson University Men’s Lacrosse team would pick up its first victory of the season, or Vassar College would gain its first-ever league win in nine years of Liberty League play. Fortunately, for the Golden Knights, junior Tyler Long (Liverpool, NY) scored with 1:09 left in overtime to lift the Green and Gold to a 9-8 victory over the Brewers at Hantz Turf Field.

The Golden Knights moved to 1-8 overall and 1-0 in conference games. Vassar dropped to 3-6 overall and 0-2 in Liberty League games.

The Golden Knights opened the first period with a quick goal by Mitch Collins (Baldwinsville, NY) less than three minutes into the game, but the Vassar defense would lock down the Knights for the next 14 minutes. When the second period started, however, Clarkson found its offensive production with a pair of goals just two minutes apart, coming from sophomore Bryan Huff (Hillsborough, NJ) and freshman John Devine (Orchard Park, NY), giving the Knights a 3-1 lead. Vassar took the lead with the next three goals, including a man-up score midway through the period, to gain its first advantage of the contest with 4:25 remaining in the half. Clarkson finished out the half with a score from Brendon Shearin (Goffstown, NY), tying the game 5-5 at intermission.

The offenses slowed considerably in the second half as neither could gain control in the third quarter. Vassar’s Sam Seymour scored at the 12:08 mark of the period, but neither team would score for the next 10 minutes. Devine added his second goal of the game with 1:57 left in the period to knot the game back up at 6-6.

In the fourth quarter, Vassar produced pair of goals early in the period to take its first two-goal lead of the contest. Jack Gross’s shot crossed the goal line at 14:01, and the sophomore produced another at 10:24 to give the Brewers an 8-6 advantage.

The Knights, however, would not go quietly. Shearin scored his second goal of the game, with the assist going to Collins, at 7:09, pulling Clarkson back to within a single goal. Huff scored three and a half minutes later, with the assist going to freshman Kyle Kasprzyk (Orchard Park, NY) to tie the score up 8-8, and just eight seconds after the ensuing faceoff, Vassar was hit with a one-minute tripping penalty. The Brewers were able to hold Clarkson without a score during the man-up opportunity.

In the first overtime, Vassar had its chances in the Clarkson defensive end, but the Knights took advantage of their opportunity late, as Long possessed the ball before working free for a solid shot on net that made it past Vassar goalkeeper Alex Tice.

Clarkson led in shots (36-29) and groundballs (27-23).

This story is inappropriate and should be flagged for moderation. Please choose from one of the following options:

Add a comment


Comment: 250 Characters Left

WWNY TV 7 - News, Weather and Sports for and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the above comments or other interaction among the users. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so or to monitor any Public Forum.