TV Dinner: Bahn Mi, north country style
WATERTOWN, N.Y. (WWNY) - It's a north country version of a Vietnamese favorite.
Chef Chris Manning makes Bahn Mi, but switches out some ingredients for ones than can be more easily found here.
He tells us that the French introduced baguettes to Vietnam and local residents turned it into a popular sandwich.
You can see for yourself in the video.
North Country Bahn Mi
- 4 sub rolls
- 1 package liverwurst (sliced)
- 12 ounces sliced ham
- 12 ounces sliced roast pork
- 12 ounces sliced cappicola
- 4 tablespoons Hellman's mayonnaise
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups pickled fresh vegetables (recipe below)
- Bahn Mi sub sauce (recipe below)
Start at the bottom of the sub roll and layer liverwurst, mayo, pork, ham, cappicola, cilantro, and pickled veggies. Drizzle with Bahn Mi sauce and serve.
Bahn Mi Sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Mix all ingredients together thoroughly and keep refrigerated up to a month.
- 1 cup finely sliced red onion
- 1 cup finely sliced cucumber
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Salt & pepper to taste
Toss the veggies together in a medium mixing bowl. Heat the water, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small pan. Pour over veggies.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Copyright 2019 WWNY. All rights reserved.