Update: man charged in Boyd Street stand-off

Boyd Street standoff ends peacefully

WATERTOWN, N.Y. (WWNY) - A 30 year old Watertown man faces several felony and misdemeanor charges after a standoff with police early Friday morning.

Charged was Karim Mitchell-Rahim, who was to appear in court Friday evening.

Watertown police said Mitchell-Rahm was charged with:

- Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance Third Degree class B felony

- Criminal Possession of a Weapon Third Degree, class D felony being a convicted criminal and used a knife to menace

- Criminal Possession of a Weapon Third for possessing metal knuckles

- Criminal Mischief in the Third Degree, class E Felony for damaging a phone with value greater than $250

- Menacing in the Second Degree, class A misdemeanor

- Criminal Mischief Fourth Degree, class A misdemeanor, for preventing a 911 emergency call

- Criminal Obstruction of Breathing, class A misdemeanor

- Harassment Second Degree a violation.

Police said they were called to the parking lot of the Great American supermarket on State Street just before 4 AM, where a woman told them her boyfriend had “had menaced her with a knife and handgun, broke her cell phone and obstructed her breathing,” according to a statement by police Friday evening.

It happened inside a second floor apartment at 605 Boyd Street, where the couple lived.

Police tried to talk to the boyfriend, but he wouldn’t come outside, prompting a stand-off which lasted until just after 8 AM, and which shut down part of Boyd Street. Police had help from the Jefferson County Sheriff’s office and both departments’ emergency response teams.

After he gave up, Mitchell-Rahim was first taken to Samaritan Medical Center for an evaluation. Police said they searched the apartment and found weapons and drugs.

No one was hurt.

A standoff on Boyd Street in Watertown ended peacefully Friday morning.
A standoff on Boyd Street in Watertown ended peacefully Friday morning. (Source: WWNY)

Copyright 2019 WWNY. All rights reserved.