Cigarette blamed for fire that destroyed Sackets Harbor restaurant

The Anchor restaurant fire
The Anchor restaurant fire
Updated: Sep. 5, 2019 at 5:09 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SACKETS HARBOR, N.Y. (WWNY) - A carelessly discarded cigarette is getting the blame for last month’s devastating fire at the Anchor bar and restaurant in Sackets Harbor.

Jefferson County's cause and origin team finished its investigation and ruled the blaze was accidental.

Officials said the fire was caused by a cigarette that was carelessly discarded in decorative mulch next to the building; the mulch caught fire and spread to the building.

The Anchor went up in flames around 11:30 p.m. on August 12. The business had just closed for the night and officials said no one was in the building at the time.

The flames spread quickly and were seen shooting through the roof before it collapsed.

The business was owned by Tom Scozzafava, who has been working to recover from the fire.

Copyright 2019 WWNY. All rights reserved.