Young boy taken to hospital after vaping

Young boy taken to hospital after vaping
With vaping-illnesses becoming prevalent, officials are warning about the potential dangers of e-cigarette use. (Source: Capital News Service)

WATERTOWN, N.Y. (WWNY) - A young boy was taken to Samaritan Medical Center Friday afternoon after experimenting with vaping, Watertown fire chief Dale Herman confirmed.

Herman did not know the boy’s exact age, but the Watertown Times reported he was 11.

Herman said the boy was taken from the Starbuck Avenue area, after complaining of a burning sensation in his throat and vomiting. Herman said the boy was using his brother’s e-cigarette equipment.

“That stuff is addicting,” he said. “And generally things that are addicting aren’t good for you.”

Herman said he was taken to the hospital as a precaution.

The state has instituted an emergency ban on flavored vaping, after hundreds of people got sick nationwide, and at least nine people have died. Health officials believe flavored vaping attracts under-age people to the habit.

Copyright 2019 WWNY. All rights reserved.