OGDENSBURG, N.Y. (WWNY) - An Ogdensburg man who pleaded guilty earlier this month in connection with a shooting in February was found dead Tuesday night.
Ogdensburg police say 27 year old Dylan Arquitt was found dead in his Gates Street home around 9:45 p.m.
The results of an autopsy performed Tuesday night have not been released.
He pleaded guilty in St. Lawrence County Court to first-degree assault in connection with an exchange of gunfire at 921 Caroline Street in Ogdensburg. Arquitt was originally charged with attempted murder.
Arquitt was released on his own recognizance to await his October 4 sentencing. He faced nine years in prison.
“At this point we’ll contact the court, make sure the court is aware...obviously those charges will eventually be dismissed,” said St. Lawrence County District Attorney Gary Pasqua.
City police say Arquitt and two other men were involved in the February shooting.
According to police, Arquitt and another man entered the home wearing masks and went upstairs. That’s when Arquitt was accused of firing a .22-caliber rifle into a room with several people inside.
Police said a Brooklyn man was struck in the neck and back and fired back with a single shot from a handgun. He was treated at Canton-Potsdam Hospital and later released.
Arquitt’s alleged accomplice in the crime, Ronald Redmond III, faces two counts of attempted murder and other charges. Arquitt was ready to be a witness at Redmond’s trial.
“We had hoped to use Mr. Arquitt at that trial. Unfortunately, due to the tragedy that befell him, that won’t happen,” said Pasqua. “We’ll reevaluate the case with Mr. Redmond given the loss of Mr. Arquitt. I don’t think it would lead us to dismiss those charges or anything like that.”
No date has been set for Redmond’s trial. In addition to the two counts of attempted murder, he faces charges of burglary, assault and attempted robbery.