WATERTOWN, N.Y. (WWNY) - This dish is spicy -- and maybe even healthy.
Chef Chris Manning makes us Sauce Fra Diavolo, which means "the devil's brother."
It's a sauce that's quick and easy to make. You can see for yourself in the video. The chef also gives tips on how to change it up a little.
Sauce Fra Diavolo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon sliced mild banana or jalapeño peppers
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can pasta sauce
Heat oil and butter on medium heat in a four-quart Dutch oven. Add onion, green bell peppers, and mushrooms and cook until onions begin to wilt.
Add garlic, crushed red pepper, and banana peppers or jalapeños and cook for one minute. Stir in tomatoes and sauce and allow to simmer for three to four minutes.
Serve over baked fish, grilled chicken, or pasta. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.