Smoke test startles some Clayton residents

wwny Smoke test startles some Clayton residents

CLAYTON, N.Y. (WWNY) - A common sewer test in Clayton caused residents to call in emergencies to 911.

Fire crews responded to reports of homes filled with smoke on Franklin and John streets.

The smoke came from a test designed to figure out where storm water may be entering the village's sewer system.

Officials say the smoke in the homes is non-toxic but could indicate defective plumbing.

"I noticed that the entire kitchen, dining room, living room was full of smoke. I panicked immediately and thought everything is going up in flames. I better call somebody," said Crandah McKenzie, Clayton resident.

The testing will continue Thursday and Friday.

Officials say if smoke does enter your home to open your windows and notify the field crew.

Copyright 2019 WWNY. All rights reserved.