WATERTOWN, N.Y. (WWNY) - Officials at the Upstate New York Poison Center say there's an increase in calls during the holiday season.
Lee Livermore from Upstate New York Poison Center says there are specific things to watch out for - old Christmas ornaments are decorations that could be dangerous.
"Some ornaments that have been passed down through generations might have some lead paint or lead glitter," he said.
Decorations like bubble lights and snow globes "have an alcohol base to preserve the liquid in them and if they crack or break, then it potentially could be an exposure," he said.
As far as poinsettias, Livermore says they're non-toxic but can cause irritation. Button batteries that are in toys are dangerous if swallowed.
"Often what happens is it gets stuck in the airway and the charge will create a hole in the airway. The symptoms of something like that are almost identical to the cold or the flu," he said.
Another thing to be careful of this holiday season is how you store your medicines, especially if you’re traveling.
"Instead of bringing all your medicine you might bring your pill minder so now you have an opportunity that the pills are going IN a non-child resistant packaging," said Livermore.
Livermore says to keep alcohol out of reach too because children can confuse it for other drinks.
If you have questions or need help, you can call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222.