WATERTOWN, N.Y. (WWNY) - One person was taken to the hospital following a natural gas leak in Watertown that prompted evacuations and road closures.
City Fire Chief Dale Herman said his department was unable to control the leak at a home at 150 South Massey Street and there was danger of an explosion if the gas ignited. They were called to the scene at around 5:15 p.m. Wednesday.
When firefighters arrived, officials said their gas odor detector was at an 18. They said the environment can be explosive when the gas detector is anywhere between 12 and 15.
National Grid was able to repair the leak in about an hour.
Massey Street was closed between Arsenal and Stone streets until 7:15 p.m..
Herman said 7 homes on Massey and Stone streets were evacuated. People were allowed back into their homes shortly after 7 p.m.
He also said a person who had been inside the home at 150 South Massey Street was taken to the hospital. There was no immediate word on the extent of injuries.
“Natural gas is odorized and is lighter than air," Herman said, "so if you do smell gas, we ask people to dial 911, leave the building, and allow us and the utility company to take care of the problems.”
Officials say there is no longer a threat to the public.