Discarded cigarette to blame for Watertown’s Waite Avenue house fire

Firefighters in Watertown save a Waite Avenue home

WATERTOWN, N.Y. (WWNY) - The City of Watertown Fire Department says a discarded cigarette is to blame for a fire on Waite Avenue in Watertown Saturday evening.

Fire officials say they responded to 522 Waite Ave after getting a call about a fire on the exterior of the building.

Crews on scene were able to extinguish the fire but did have to pull away some of the siding to do so. Crews operated for approximately 90 minutes on scene.

The fire reached into the front of the house, damaging the interior wall and floor space, but firefighters caught it before it could extend any further. However, the building was condemned for occupancy by the City of Watertown Codes Department until repairs can be made.

There were no working smoke detectors in the home.

Officials on scene say there were 4 people home at the time but all got out safely with no injuries.

Copyright 2020 WWNY. All rights reserved.