Hopkinton home destroyed in Saturday night fire, overheated woodstove believed to be cause

HOPKINTON, N.Y. (WWNY) -An overheated woodstove is believed to have been the cause of a house fire that erupted Saturday night in St. Lawrence County.

Fire officials say strong winds made for difficult work.

Above is what is left of 3214 State Highway 11B in the Town of Hopkinton.

Crews were called there just after 8 PM Saturday for a fully involved structure fire.

In total, almost a dozen fire departments responded to the scene and worked till the early morning hours.

2nd Assistant Fire Chief of Hopkinton / Fort Jackson Fire Department William Votra says the homeowner was home at the time of the fire and was able to escape without any injuries.

The home has been deemed a total loss.

Volunteers from the Central & Northern New York Chapter of the American Red Cross provided immediate emergency aid to the homeowner, providing financial assistance for necessities such as food and clothing to one adult. Volunteers also offered emotional support and comfort kits containing personal care items.

Copyright 2020 WWNY. All rights reserved.