Gas grill blamed for Massena house fire

Massena house fire

MASSENA, N.Y. (WWNY) - A large plume of smoke could be seen for miles away after a fire erupted in Massena Sunday evening.

Flames were shooting out of the 13 Dover Street home and it could easily be seen from Maple Street nearly two miles away across the Grasse River.

Crews were called just after 8:30 p.m. and arrived to heavy flames showing from the back of the home. The fire was out by around 10:15 p.m.

Massena Fire Department Chief Paul Brownell said the electricity and gas were cut off as they worked to put the flames out.

“We fought it as best we could with the heavy fire on the backside and knocking it down as quick as we could,” Brownell said. “Getting the gas and electricity off so we could get in there and make an attack at it.”

St. Lawrence County fire coordinator Matt Denner says there were no injuries.

Officials say the fire started while the homeowner, Stanley Baker, was barbecuing on the back porch. The cause has been ruled accidental.

The structure fire at 13 Dover Street, Massena can be seen from 2 miles away across the Grasse River.
The structure fire at 13 Dover Street, Massena can be seen from 2 miles away across the Grasse River. (Source: wwny)

Copyright 2021 WWNY. All rights reserved.