Watertown fire sends one to hospital

Updated: Apr. 13, 2021 at 3:07 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WATERTOWN, N.Y. (WWNY) - A duplex fire in Watertown Tuesday afternoon sent one person to the hospital.

It broke out before 2 p.m. in the upper unit at 825 Academy Street.

City fire officials said the flames started in a kitchen stove and spread to the range hood and cabinets above it.

Officials said three people in the home suffered smoke inhalation. Two were treated on scene. One was taken to Samaritan Medical Center.

“They said they fell asleep while cooking and they had put the fire out before we got here. We saw nothing from the outside. We had a little bit of smoke on the second floor. We finished putting out the fire and ventilated the building,” said Battalion Chief Chris Hayman, Watertown Fire Department.

Hayman said despite the smoke and fire damage, the unit is still habitable.

The duplex is owned by the housing rehabilitation group, Neighbors of Watertown. Its executive director says the building’s rehab was completed last summer.

Copyright 2021 WWNY. All rights reserved.