Fire interrupts primary voting at election site

Published: Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:49 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TOWN OF CHAMPION, New York (WWNY) - Flames broke out at a town of Champion fire station Tuesday afternoon, forcing the polling place there to move its Primary Day voting.

According to the West Carthage Fire Department, an electrical problem touched off a blaze in the ceiling of its 2nd fire station shortly after noon.

One person was voting at the time, officials said.

Fire Chief Pete Crump said the election workers heard the station’s fire alarm sound and discovered the fire. He added that if the workers hadn’t been there, the fire could have been much worse.

Everyone got out of the building safely.

Voting continued outdoors for a short time. Then the polling place moved inside the Town of Champion Highway Department building next door.

“Very few people were inconvenienced, ultimately, and we’re happy for that. We’re pleased that everyone was patient with us as we redirected to a new site,” said Republican Jefferson County Board of Elections Commissioner Jude Seymour.

Voting at the highway department continues through 9 p.m. Tuesday.

The fire equipment in the fire hall was undamaged in the blaze. However, flames heavily damaged a restroom and maintenance room in the station.

Copyright 2022 WWNY. All rights reserved.