Malone & Massena split Section X hoops championships
POTSDAM, New York (WWNY) - Massena met Malone in both the boys’ and girls’ Section X Class A basketball championships at SUNY Potsdam.
In girls’ action, Malone’s Raegan McArdle gathers the ball and cuts to the lane for the game’s first bucket.
- Chloe LaBelle finds a lane and scores. Malone is up 4.
- McArdle launches a 3-pointer. The Huskies lead 7-0.
- Chyler Richards drives to the lane and gets the Raiders’ first basket, and the foul.
- Richards from the arc — bingo! It’s 7-5.
- Meg Firnstein to Madison LaDuke and ties the game at 7-7.
- Avav Lilliock, who feeds LaBelle for the backdoor.
- Raiders’ give-n-go to end the first quarter at 10-9 Malone.
Massena closed within 34-33 early in the fourth quarter, but Malone held on to win 48-42 to capture the Section X Class A championship.
On the boys’ side, the Raiders scored first.
- Colin Patterson powers up through the crowd.
- Gunvir Johal with the floater. The game is tied 2-2.
- Jace Hammond to Zendan Poirier for the 2 inside.
- DeShawn Walton penetrates hard to the rack, scores, and draws the foul.
- Jake Firnstein to Walton. The Raiders are up 2.
- Walton dishes to Carter Firnstein who buries the 3.
- With 10 seconds left in the game, Malone is down 3 and looking for the tie, but time runs out.
In a gritty seesaw battle, the Massena Red Raiders edge Malone 44-41 to win the Section X Class A title.
Copyright 2023 WWNY. All rights reserved.