Sport highlights: Section X & Section III action continues
(WWNY) - Sectionals continued Wednesday in both basketball and hockey.
Top-seed General Brown hosted Oneida in a girls’ Section III Class B basketball quarterfinal from Dexter.
- Kori Nichols lays in 2 off the opening tip. General Brown is on top 2.
- Lady Lions running: Ainsley Fuller with the bucket. General Brown extends its lead to 4.
- Off the turnover, it’s Nichols ahead to Fuller for the bucket. The Lady Lions are in front 6.
- Fuller stops and pops, ripping yarn. General Brown is still on top 6. She had 16.
- Second quarter: it’s Nichols driving the lane for the basket. It’s the Lady Lions by 12.
- Madelyn Ferris goes up strong down low for the hoop.
General Brown advances to the Class B semis with a 42-28 win over Oneida.
On the boys’ side, top-seed Sackets Harbor hosted Oriskany in the Section III Class D quarterfinals.
- First quarter: Austin Griner hits the floater in the paint. It’s the Patriots by 2.
- Off the inbounds, Ethan Shi drills the 3 from the corner. It’s Sackets Harbor by 3.
- A bit later, it’s Shi from the wing for another 3-pointer. The Patriots are up 6.
- Shi is on fire with his third 3-pointer of the quarter. It’s Sackets Harbor by 9.
- Griner splits the defenders and gets the shot to fall. The Patriots are up 8.
- Second quarter: Marcus Castine lays in 2 off the turnover.
- Sackets Harbor advances, beating Oriskany 53-50
It was the battle of the Bulldogs as Chateaugay and Heuvelton met in a girls’ Section X Class D basketball semifinal.
- Off the opening tap, eighth grader Madison McComb gets the initial shot. Kaelyn Morgan puts up the rebound. It’s 2-0 Chateaugay.
- After a missed 3, McComb gets the putback, upping the lead to 5.
- Fellow 8th grader Irelynn LaPlante steals and drops in 2. It’s 7-0 Chateaugay.
- Heuvelton gets on the board on Allison Trathen’s free throw.
- As the defense falls back, LaPlante sinks a 14-footer.
- Lakin Martin to Rylin McAllister for the corner-3, ripping yarn.
- LaPlante for the open 3.
Chateaugay led the whole way, beating Heuvelton 41-30.
It was Hermon-DeKalb vs. top-seed and number-one state-ranked Hammond in the other Class D girls’ semifinal.
- Zoey Cunningham drives for the layup. It’s 2-0 Hammond.
- Oliver Simser turns inside and drops in 2 to tie the game. She scored 15.
- On the rebound, Landree Kenyon with the bucket. It’s 8-6 Hammond.
- Hailee Manning penetrates for 2.
- Jayla O’Donnell with the inside jumper. The Demons are within 4.
- Kenyon splits the defense for 2 of her game-high 31 points.
- Kenyon to Ava Howie on the fast break layup.
Hammond goes on to beat Hermon-DeKalb 56 to 32.
Canton was at Potsdam for a boys’ Section X Division I hockey semifinal.
- First period: Ryan Rutley from Tyler Berkman, weaves in front, tucks the puck home. It’s 1-0 Potsdam.
- Early in the second period, Berkman with the cross-ice feed onto the stick of Cooper Grant for the goal. It’s 2-0 Sandstoners.
- In over the blue line, Rutley’s shot ricochets off the glass, between the keeper’s skates. John Duffy buries it to make it 3-0.
Canton would score three times in the third period to tie the game, but Tyler Berkman scored with just 24 seconds remaining.
Potsdam survived 5-4 to return to the Division I final for the first time in eight years.
Copyright 2023 WWNY. All rights reserved.