Residents told to shelter in place due to potentially toxic smoke from solar farm fire
TOWN OF LYME, New York (WWNY) - Potentially toxic smoke is coming from a fire at a Jefferson County solar farm.
It’s on County Route 179 in the town of Lyme, just outside the village of Chaumont.
Residents within a 1-mile radius of the fire are being told to shelter in place due to the smoke from the fire.
Joe Plummer, director of the county’s Fire and Emergency Management, says batteries are burning.
The county’s hazmat team and numerous fire departments are on the scene.
The fire started shortly after 1 p.m.
Governor Kathy Hochul issued the following statement shortly after 7 p.m.
“A large battery fire in Jefferson County has caused significant damage and is emitting large amounts of smoke that may pose health risks. I have directed all necessary State agencies to provide assistance to local and county officials, and have deployed State personnel from the Department of Environmental Conservation and the Office of Fire Prevention and Control to the site.
“I urge all members of the local community to follow public health guidance to protect themselves and their families, and avoid exposure to smoke or other toxins. We will continue monitoring developments out of Jefferson County and are committed to helping this community address the ongoing situation.”
We’ll update this story when we get more information.
Copyright 2023 WWNY. All rights reserved.