Boiler Not To Blame For Black River School EvacuationPosted: Updated:
Officials now say the boiler is not to blame for Thursday morning's evacuation at Black River Elementary School.
They say the alarm that was activated in the school was likely triggered by a vehicle that was left running outside the building with fumes drawn into the building.
At the time of the alarm, most of the 450 students who attend Black River had not entered the building. Some pre-kindergarten students and staff were inside.
Students were moved on their buses to the St. Paul's Catholic Church parking lot, where they waited for a little over an hour.
Carthage Central School District Superintendent Peter Turner says they made the call early to send students home.
"We've done our best to move kids to different buses because they might have had a different drop off location in an emergency situation," he said. "We will not drop any child at a home that we don't know somebody is present."
Turner says the district put staff on the buses to help drivers make sure students are dropped off at a home with an adult there.
Officials initially believed a problem with the school's boiler triggered the alarm.
The Black River Fire Department and National Grid determined the building is now safe for occupancy.
Classes will resume at the school on Friday.